The campaign “Doing more does not mean doing better - CHOOSING WISELY ITALY”, promoted by Slow Medicine, aims to help physicians, other health professionals, patients and citizens engage in conversations about tests, treatments and procedures at risk of inappropriateness in Italy, for informed and shared choices.
The campaign is based on the responsibility of physicians and other health professionals and on the participation of patients and citizens, and is implemented through:
- the recommendations of Italian professional societies and associations about tests, treatments and procedures that have been shown by the currently available evidence not to provide any meaningful benefit to most patients for whom they are commonly ordered but on the contrary may cause patient harm
- improvement of the dialogue and the relationship of physicians and other health professionals with patients and citizens, for wise and shared decision making
- information, education and training of physicians and other health professionals
- development of patient-friendly material about overused tests, treatments and procedures for patients and citizens
- communication campaigns to the patients and the public